Differences between MMS and IFA:
Similar to iron and folic acid (IFA) supplementation, MMS reduces the risk of maternal anemia. In addition, when compared to IFA supplementation, MMS also results in reduction in risk for:
- low birth weight (LBW) infants
- infant mortality at 6 months
- infants being born small for their age
- preterm birth
- Do not offer MMS to a woman who is already taking IFA supplements.
- Do not take both MMS and IFA. This results in too much iron in the pregnant woman’s body. Choose 1 or the other and take that throughout pregnancy.
- Do not alternate MMS and IFA pills every day. Take either 1 or the other throughout pregnancy.